We denied your Form 8716, Election To Have a Tax Year Other Than a Required Tax Year, because an Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 444 election was previously terminated. We’ll mail your denied Form 8716 separately.
What you need to do
File your annual return at the end of your required tax year, usually December 31st.
You may want to
Keep this notice for your permanent records.
Answers to common questions
How often can I make an IRC Section 444 election?
You can only make that election once.
How long does an IRC Section 444 election last?
It remains in effect until
- You change your accounting period to a required tax year,
- You change your accounting period to some other permitted year, OR
- You’re penalized for willfully failing to comply with the requirements of IRC Sections 280H or 7519.
- You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.