We denied your Form 8716, Election To Have a Tax Year Other Than a Required Tax Year, because an Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 444 election was previously terminated. We’ll mail your denied Form 8716 separately.
What you need to do
File your annual return at the end of your required tax year, usually December 31st.
You may want to
Keep this notice for your permanent records.
Answers to common questions
How often can I make an IRC Section 444 election?
You can only make that election once.
How long does an IRC Section 444 election last?
It remains in effect until
- You change your accounting period to a required tax year,
- You change your accounting period to some other permitted year, OR
- You’re penalized for willfully failing to comply with the requirements of IRC Sections 280H or 7519.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.