This notice tells you we approved your Electing Small Business Trust (ESBT) election.
What you need to do
- Timely file Form 1041, U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts (PDF)
- Include Schedule K-1(Form 1065), Partner’s Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc. (PDF) reflecting your ownership in the S corporation.
- File a paper return with all required schedules.
- Keep this notice in your permanent records.
You may want to visit the following webpages:
- S Corporations
- About Form 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation
- S Corporation Compensation and Medical Insurance Issues
- S Corporation Employees, Shareholders and Corporate Officers
- S Corporation Stock and Debt Basis
- Special Rules for Health Insurance Costs of 2-Percent Shareholder-Employees (IRB 2008-2 Notice 2008-1)
- Publication 542 (12/2016), Corporations
Answers to common questions
How do I end the ESBT election?
Only the Commissioner of Internal Revenue can stop this election. See (IR Bulletin 2012-1 (PDF)) for instructions
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer (PDF)
- Form 8716, Election To Have a Tax Year Other Than a Required Tax Year (PDF)
- Form W-7A Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions (PDF)
- Form W-7 SP Solicitud de Número de Identificación Personal del Contribuyente del Servicio de Impuestos Internos (SP)(PDF)
- Full list of tax forms and instructions
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.