What this notice is about
We sent you this notice to confirm that you registered for an IRS online service.
You need to take an additional action if you didn't initiate this registration or if you requested an activation code to complete registration.
What you need to do
- If you didn't initiate this registration when accessing one of our online services, immediately call the number on your notice to disable your account.
- If you requested an activation code by mail, to complete your registration you must:
- Log into Get Transcript or Identify Protection PIN (IP PIN).
- Enter the activation code from your notice.
- NOTE: You’ll also need a U.S.-based mobile phone, which we’ll use to text a security code each time you log in.
- If you already completed your registration, no action is necessary.
- Use your username and password each time you access one of our online services.
- Have your mobile phone accessible if you registered your number for the service you used.
- Make sure you recognize your site image and site phrase each time you sign in.
- Keep your registration profile data current. We'll send you a confirmation email each time you update your profile.
- Review your recent account activity each time you sign in and call the number on your notice if you find suspicious activity.
Frequently asked questions
What happens if someone else used my personal information to register online at IRS?
If you didn't initiate this registration, immediately call the number on your notice. Once we verify your identity, we’ll disable your online account.
Can I use the same username and password I created for a different IRS online tool?
Yes. You can use the same username and password for the following services:
- Get Transcript
- Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN)
- Online Protection Agreement (OPA)
I forgot my username and password I created online. Can I still use the system?
Yes. Access the online service you need and choose “forgot username or password” during the login process.