Understanding Your CP301 Notice
We sent you this notice to confirm that you registered for an IRS online services account, OR because it contains the activation code you requested.
You need to take an additional action if you didn't initiate this registration or if you requested an activation code to complete registration.
What you need to do
- If you didn't initiate this registration when accessing one of our online services, contact the IRS helpdesk immediately at the number on your notice to disable your online account.
- If you requested an activation code by mail, to complete your registration you must:
- If you already completed your registration, no action is necessary
- Use your username and password each time you access one of our online services.
- Have your mobile phone accessible if you registered your number for the service you used.
- Make sure you recognize your site image and site phrase each time you sign in.
- Keep your registration profile data current. We’ll send you a confirmation email each time you update your profile.
- Review your recent account activity each time you log in and contact the IRS Help desk immediately at the number on your notice if you find suspicious activity.
Answers to Common Questions
What happens if someone else used my personal information to register online at IRS?
If you didn't initiate this registration, immediately contact the IRS Help desk at the number on your notice. Once we verify your identity, we’ll disable your online account.
Can I use the same username and password I created for a different IRS online tool?
Yes. You can use the same username and password for the following services:
How long is my online service account valid?
Your online service account remains valid as long as you are an active user. We’ll periodically ask users to provide information to revalidate their identity after they sign in.
I forgot my username and password I created online. Can I still use the system?
Yes. Access the service you need and choose “forgot username or password” during the login process.
Reading your notice
Your notice may look different from the sample because the information contained in your notice is tailored to your situation.