Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP40 Notice

We are notifying you that we’ve assigned your tax account to a private collection agency for collection.

What you need to do

  • Read the notice carefully. It contains important information about what happens next.
  • File any unfiled tax returns that you’re required to file.

You may want to

Answers to common questions

Why was my account transferred to a Private Collection Agency?

IRS is required by law to contract with private collection agencies to assist in the collection of certain unpaid tax accounts.

How can I be sure the private collection agency contacting me is under contract with the IRS?

Your CP 40 notice contains the name and contact information of the private collection agency assigned your account. The names of all the private collection agencies under contract with the IRS can be found on, keyword search “Private Debt Collection.” The private collection agency will also send you a letter confirming assignment of your tax account.

Can I make arrangements to pay my taxes over time with the private collection agency?

Yes, the private collection agency will work with you to set up a payment arrangement if you can’t full pay when contacted.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help