Your tax return shows a different name and/or ID number from the information we have for your account. Please provide the requested information.
What you need to do
- Review your identifying information shown on this notice and compare it to your most recent social security card or taxpayer ID card.
- Complete the CP54 response form to explain the discrepancies.
- Include copies of documents to substantiate your name and identifying number.
You may want to
- Contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to update your records if you have an SSN and any of the following occurred:
- you recently married and are using your spouse’s last name and you did not contact SSA to update your records,
- you legally changed your name without contacting SSA to update your records, or
- your social security number and/or name are different from when you received social security number.
- Contact the IRS, ITIN Operation, to update your records if you have an ITIN and any of the following occurred:
- you recently married and are using your spouse’s last name and did not contact IRS to update your records,
- you legally changed your name without contacting the IRS to update your records, or
- your ITIN and/or name are different from when you received your CP565, ITIN Assignment Letter.
Answers to Common Questions
I sent you my information. Now what happens?
Once we receive your response form and verify the information you provided, we will update our records accordingly. If you are due a refund and you haven't heard from us after 6 weeks,you can check the status of your refund on the “Where’s My Refund?” link on irs.gov.
Tips for next year
Make sure you file using your name and taxpayer ID number (TIN) that was updated by SSA or IRS.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.