Important Information about your child’s Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) - We approved your request for a one-year extension
What you need to do
- Understand your extension of the ATIN is only valid for one year from the date of the notice.
- When you receive a social security number (SSN) for this child, complete the response form with the SSN and fax or mail it using the information provided on the form.
You may want to...
- If you have additional questions, call the IRS at 737-800-5511 or 267-941-1000 (for international calls).
Answers to Common Questions
How long is an ATIN extension useful?
An ATIN extension is only valid for one additional year.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.