Important Information about your child’s Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) - We approved your request for a one-year extension
What you need to do
- Understand your extension of the ATIN is only valid for one year from the date of the notice.
- When you receive a social security number (SSN) for this child, complete the response form with the SSN and fax or mail it using the information provided on the form.
You may want to...
- If you have additional questions, call the IRS at 737-800-5511 or 267-941-1000 (for international calls).
Answers to Common Questions
How long is an ATIN extension useful?
An ATIN extension is only valid for one additional year. You may request an extension before your assigned ATIN expires.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.