Understanding Your CP561B Notice

What this notice is about

Important Information about your child’s Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) - The extension for your child’s ATIN expires in 3 months.

What you need to do

You may want to

Answers to common questions

What if I don’t have a Social Security number (SSN) for my child?

You can’t claim your child on your tax return. You can file an amended return once you have an SSN for your child.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.