Understanding your CP63 notice


What this notice is about

We're holding your refund because our records show you still haven’t filed one or more tax returns and we believe you’ll owe additional tax.

What you need to do

File your tax return immediately or explain to us:

  • why you're filing late
  • why you don't have to file, or
  • that you've already filed

You may want to

Frequently asked questions

What should I do if I disagree with the notice, I didn't file my tax return, or it's been more than eight weeks since I filed it?

Call us at the toll-free number on your notice. Please have your paperwork ready when you call. If you prefer, you can write to us. If you choose to write, send your response to the address provided above.

What should I do if I've just filed my tax return?

You don't have to do anything if you filed your tax return(s) within the last eight weeks.

What happens if I can't pay the full amount I owe when I file my return?

You may qualify for a payment plan if you can't pay the full amount you owe. You can apply for a payment plan online to pay off your balance over time.

If we determine you owe tax on any return(s) you file, we may use all or part of your refund to help pay it.

When will my refund be released?

We’ll continue to hold your refund until we hear from you. We can release your refund when we have received all past due returns, or an explanation showing you did not have to file for those years.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

If you have dependent children, you may be able to claim a tax credit for them. Publication 972, Child Tax Credit and Credit for Other DependentsPDF, has information about this credit.

Helpful information

Need help?