IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding Your CP79B Notice

We denied all or part of the Earned Income Credit (EIC) you claimed on your individual income tax return. We determined you made a fraudulent EIC claim. For this reason, the law does not allow you to claim the EIC for the next 10 years.

What you need to do

You don’t need to take any action at this time.

You may want to...

  • Review this notice with your tax preparer.
  • Review the rules for claiming EIC.
  • Contact us if you have questions.

Answers to Common Questions

What do I need to do to claim EIC in the future?
If, after 10 years, you want to claim the EIC with a qualifying child or children, you must complete and attach a Form 8862, Information to Claim Earned Income Credit After Disallowance, to your return.

How do I get a Form 8862?
Visit Forms & Pubs or call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676) for forms, instructions, and publications.

Tips for Next Year

If we banned you from claiming the EIC, you cannot claim the credit until the year listed on your notice.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 23-Feb-2016

How to get help