What this letter is about
We are sending you Letter 12C because we need more information to process your individual income tax return. This information can include:
- Missing forms or schedules to support your entries on Form 1040, 1040-SR, 1040-A, or 1040-EZ
- Verification of income, withholding, and credit amounts
- Documentation to reconcile advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit (PTC). Please refer to PTC page for more information on PTC advance payments.
What you need to do
- Read your letter carefully and respond timely.
- Respond to the letter, even if you disagree with the information in it.
- Send us a letter explaining what information you think is in error.
- Send the information we requested.
- Do not file a Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. When we receive the requested information, we’ll use it to process your original tax return.
- If you’re due a refund, we’ll send it about 6-8 weeks after we receive your response.
How to respond
- Fax your information to the fax number in the letter or mail your information to the address shown at the top of the letter.
- Include a copy of the letter with your response.
You may want to
- Visit our Affordable Care Act page for more information about filing a tax return with Form 8962.