We need more information about your business, estate, or trust. Failure to timely respond to this letter will delay processing of any returns that are filed.
What you need to do
If you were or are affiliated with the entity:
- Answer all the questions in the letter.
- If the letter you received is for an estate entity, send a copy of the deceased individual’s death certificate with your reply.
- If the letter you received is for a trust entity, send a notarized copy of the trust with your reply.
- Return the letter to us within 30 days from the date of this letter.
If you’re not affiliated with the entity, or you’re not the responsible party:
- Select the correct statement on the letter indicating no affiliation.
- Sign and date the declaration statement at the bottom of the letter.
- Return the letter to us within 30 days from the date of the letter.
Answers to common questions
What will happen after I provide my response?
We’ll review it and contact you if we have additional questions. If we don’t have questions, no action is required and we’ll continue to process any returns that have been filed. It will take about 9 weeks to process any returns once we’ve reviewed your response.
What should I do if there’s been a change of address for the business, trust or estate?
Complete and submit Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party – Business (PDF).
What should I do if I think I could be a victim of identity theft?
You can read Publication 5027, Identity Theft Information for Taxpayers (PDF).
Tax publications you may find useful
How to get help
Call the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on your letter.