March 6, 2019
Some of the most common tax scams are phone calls and emails from thieves pretending to be from the IRS.
Here are several tips to help you avoid being scammed. IRS employees will not:
- Call demanding an immediate payment.
- Call you without first sending a bill in the mail.
- Demand you pay your taxes in a specific way.
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
- Threaten to have you arrested.
- Threaten legal action.
If you receive an inquiry like this, report the incident using: