March 6, 2019
It’s the time of the year when you may be choosing a tax preparer. Choose wisely because you are responsible for all the information on your income tax return.
Tips for selecting a preparer:
- Check the IRS Directory of Preparers.
- Check the preparer’s history or verify enrolled agent status page on IRS.gov.
- Ask about Fees.
- Ask to e-file.
- Make sure the preparer is available.
- Provide records and receipts.
- Review your return before signing.
- Ensure the preparer signs and includes their PTIN.
- Report abusive preparers to the IRS using Form 14157 (PDF) or Form 14157-A (PDF)
For details, see Tax Tip 2019-06.