Need to create an account and apply for a PTIN?
User ID: Most people’s user ID is their email address. If yours is not and you can’t remember it, select Forgot User ID from the PTIN system login page. Your user ID will be emailed to you.
Password: Passwords must meet the following criteria:
- Be a minimum of eight characters
- Not be the same as your user ID
- Not be a variation of your user ID
- Contain at least one alphabetic character
- Contain at least one non-alphabetic character
If you can’t remember your password, you can use the Forgot Password function to reset it. Select Forgot Password from the PTIN system login page to have a temporary password to your email address:
- You should copy and paste the password to avoid errors
- Copy: Highlight the temporary password with your mouse, right-click your mouse, and select Copy
- Paste: Place your cursor in the Password box, right-click your mouse, and select Paste.
Changed email addresses?
If you no longer have access to the email address you used when first created your account, you can change it without having to log into your account. Select Forgot or Cannot Access Email from the PTIN system login page.
You’ll need the following information:
- Last name on the account
- Date of birth
- Social Security Number
- Answer to your secret question
Don’t have that information? You’ll have to call the IRS PTIN Information Line for help.
Renew or register for 2020 by Dec. 31