IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

How Do I Claim My Gambling Winnings and/or Losses?

ITA Home

This interview will help you determine how to claim your gambling winnings and/or losses.

Information You'll Need:

  • Your and your spouse's filing status
  • Amount of your gambling winnings and losses
  • Any information provided to you on a Form W-2G

The tool is designed for use by taxpayers that were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they're inquiring about. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year. For information regarding nonresidents or dual-status aliens, please see Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.


Conclusions are based on information provided by you in response to the questions you answered. Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Estimated Completion Time: 10 minutes; however, after 15 minutes of inactivity, you'll be forced to start over.

Please Note: Using the "Back" button within the ITA tool could cause an application error.


Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 24-Feb-2017