IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding your CP231 Notice

Your refund or credit payment was returned to us and we need you to update your current address.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help

Calling the toll free number listed on the top right corner of your notice is the fastest way to get your questions answered.

You can also authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using this Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (Form 2848).

What you need to do

You can either call us or complete and send in the new contact information section at the bottom of the notice we sent you.

If you call us at the toll-free number listed on the notice, please be ready to provide the following information:

  • Employer ID number for the Tax Form you filed
  • Title of the person authorized to sign for the company, corporation, business, etc.)
  • Current address
  • Telephone number
  • Best time for us to call

If you complete and send in the new contact information section please:

  • Have the authorized individual sign the information section and print his/her name and the official title.
  • Print the current address, city, state, Country, and Zip code.
  • Fill in a primary and secondary phone number and the best time for us to call.
  • Use the envelope provided.

We will request that your check or credit payment be reissued. Be sure that our address shows through the envelope window.

Answers to Common Questions

Once I send in my information, how soon will I get my refund or credit payment?
You should receive this within 3 - 4 weeks.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 01-Apr-2015