Communications & Liaison (C&L) provides IRS employees and external stakeholders a communications capability that promotes understanding of the corporate mission and goals, promotes two-way dialogue, enhances relationships with legislative, executive, state, business, and professional stakeholders, balances confidentiality rights with rights to access information, and helps taxpayers understand and meet their tax responsibilities.
Supports the IRS mission and business objectives using strategic relationship management, communication tools and processes, resolution of issues of mutual concern, and information sharing.
Enable IRS business objectives by supporting the operating and functional divisions’ major strategies and operational priorities.
- Ensure that communications with customers, Congress and stakeholders are consistent and coordinated IRS-wide and integrate stakeholder relationship management in the day-to-day operations of the agency.
- Ensure a quality work environment that is operationally efficient and effective, including an emphasis on automating business processes.
- Ensure the appropriate collection, use and protection of information to accomplish IRS business objectives.
Chief, Communications & Liaison — Terry Lemons
Director, Office of Communications — Michelle Eldridge
Director, Office of Legislative Affairs — Leonard Oursler
Director, Office of National Public Liaison — Melvin Hardy
C&L's stakeholders include IRS employees, IRS operating, functional and support divisions, national media, the National Treasury Employees Union, the Office of Management and Budget, the Treasury Department, the American public, business groups, Congress, Federal agencies, foreign governments, IRS advisory committees, the Information Reporting Policy Council, the IRS Oversight Board, the General Accounting Office, public interest groups, tax practitioner groups, associations, and the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.
The C&L Division enables the IRS to achieve its strategic business objectives by integrating communications, partnering activities and information sharing with key internal and external stakeholders and is a key strategic tool for the Commissioner and for IRS Operating Divisions. C&L helps achieve the IRS strategic goals by:
- Linking the IRS to the American taxpayer through critical constituencies: the Congress, national and local media, tax professionals’ organizations, and official oversight and advisory panels.
- Identifying ongoing and emerging issues from key stakeholders, and ensuring their timely resolution.
- Advising the Commissioner on the effective presentation of policy positions and issue responses.
- Promoting public awareness of major IRS initiatives.
- Coordinating high-priority communications to employees, working with professional staff in all IRS divisions.
Office of Communications
The focal point for planning, coordinating, and producing Servicewide communications. It provides a wide range of expertise, products, and services to help achieve business outcomes through communications within and outside the agency. The office works with national and local media to enhance the public's understanding of the IRS and its mission, programs and policies; manages national media campaigns to help the IRS meet its goals and business objectives; manages voicemail and Intranet channels for communicating with all IRS employees; and produces interactive video teletraining and operates a satellite television network that reaches 135 IRS offices nationwide.
Office of Legislative Affairs
Manages and enhances IRS relationships with members of Congress and their staffs by timely sharing publicly available information, serving as the central coordinating point for the IRS to achieve its legislative objectives, and assisting in securing Congressional support for the IRS. It prepares and coordinates legislative proposals that further the IRS Strategic Plan’s objectives to improve service and compliance. These proposals are separate from those provided directly to the Congress by the Taxpayer Advocate.
Legislative Affairs also provides a national level of coordination, oversight and guidance for the Congressional Affairs Program, which helps manage relationships with congressional offices.
Office of National Public Liaison
Manages relationships with national stakeholder organizations, business and professional associations, the Internal Revenue Service Advisory Council (IRSAC), the Information Reporting Program Advisory Committee (IRPAC) and federal agencies with an interest in tax administration, IRS activities and programs. The Office also manages the Nationwide Tax Forum program, with an annual attendance of more than 18,000 tax practitioners.