Foreign Housing Exclusion or Deduction


Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

International Tax Gap Series

If you are a United States citizen or a resident alien, you are taxed on your worldwide income, whether you live inside or outside of the United States. However, if you live and work abroad, you may be able to exclude all or part of your foreign earnings and, in addition, may qualify to exclude or deduct a foreign housing cost amount.

The Foreign Earned Income Exclusion page includes the general rules for qualifying and claiming the exclusion of foreign earned salary, wages, or other compensation received for personal services.

See the Foreign Housing Exclusion or Deduction page for more details associated with claiming foreign housing expenses.


References and Links
Foreign Earned Income Exclusion
Foreign Housing Expense Limitations
Form 2555, Foreign Earned Income
Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad


Return to:
  The International Tax Gap Series