Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page
Automatic Revocation of Exemption for Non-Filing - Frequently Asked Questions: Regaining Your Exempt Status - Applying for Reinstatement
- How do I get my organization’s tax-exempt status reinstated if it was automatically revoked?
- Do I need to get a new employer identification number (EIN) for my organization to apply for reinstatement of tax-exempt status?
- Will the IRS expedite my organization’s application for reinstatement of tax-exempt status?
- I am applying for reinstatement of exemption after my organization's exemption was automatically revoked for failure to file. When I fill out Form 1023, do I have to complete Schedule E?
- My organization has applied for reinstatement of its tax-exempt status. Am I required to start filing annual returns?
- If my organization's tax-exempt status is reinstated, what is the effective date?
- How do I request that my organization’s tax-exempt status be reinstated effective as of the date its status was automatically revoked?
- What is “reasonable cause” for failure to file an annual return or notice?
- Will my organization remain on the Auto-Revocation List if our tax-exempt status is reinstated?
- How do I confirm an organization’s tax-exempt status has been reinstated, if organizations that have had their tax-exempt status revoked remain on the Auto-Revocation List?
- My organization’s tax-exempt status was automatically revoked, and I paid income taxes or received a delinquency or penalty notice for the period that my organization was no longer exempt. Now that the IRS has reinstated my organization’s tax-exempt status, how do I request an abatement of the penalties or refund of tax paid with respect to an income tax return?
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 22-Apr-2016