Exempt Organizations Select Check is an online search tool that allows users to search for and select an exempt organization and check certain information about its federal tax status and filings. It consolidates three former search sites into one, providing expanded search capability and a more efficient way to search for organizations that:
- Are eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions (Publication 78 data). Users may rely on this list in determining deductibility of their contributions (just as they did when Publication 78 was a separate electronic publication rather than part of Select Check).
Updated data posting date: 12-12-2017
Please be aware of the following when searching for organizations in this database:
- Certain eligible donees (i.e., churches, group ruling subordinates, and governmental units) may not be listed in this database. See Other Eligible Donees for more information.
- “Doing business as” (also known as DBA) names of organizations are not listed in this database. See Search Tips for additional guidance.
- Have had their tax-exempt status automatically revoked under the law because they have not filed Form 990 series returns or notices annually as required for three consecutive years (Auto-Revocation List)
Updated data posting date: 12-11-2017
- Have filed a Form 990-N (e-Postcard) annual electronic notice. (Most small exempt organizations whose annual gross receipts are normally $50,000 or less are required to electronically submit Form 990-N, unless they choose instead to file a completed Form 900 or Form 990-EZ.)
Updated data posting date: 12-19-2017
In addition to searching for a particular organization, users may download a complete list of each of the three types of organizations through Exempt Organizations Select Check.
Please note: There are technical problems with the Pub 78 database, which are causing some organizations to have a blank in the country field. Therefore, they will not appear unless the country field is changed from the default of United States to All. The problem is expected to be fixed within a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Search Tips for Exempt Organizations Select Check
- Frequently asked questions - Exempt Organizations Select Check
- Organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions
- Automatic revocation of tax exemption
- Exempt Organizations Business Master File Extract (EO BMF): a list of organizations recognized as exempt by the IRS