Filing Requirements for Political Organizations


Political parties; campaign committees for candidates for federal, state or local office; and political action committees are all political organizations subject to tax under IRC section 527.

Section 527 organizations are generally required to file one or more of the following:

  1. An initial notice
  2. Periodic reports on contributions and expenditures
  3. Annual income tax returns and
  4. Annual information returns

A political organization must have its own employer identification number (EIN), even if it does not have any employees. To get an EIN, an organization must file Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification NumberPDF. For more information about obtaining an EIN (including how to apply online), see Employer ID Numbers (EIN).

Additionally, many political organizations must electronically file their periodic reports. In order to electronically file these reports, an organization needs the username and password issued to it after filing its initial notice. If you have forgotten or misplaced this username and password, please contact TE/GE Customer Account Services to request a replacement.

Additional information