How do I report this Form 1099-DIV I received from my mutual fund?
- Enter the ordinary dividends from box 1a on Form 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions on line 3b of Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.
- Enter any qualified dividends from box 1b on Form 1099-DIV on line 3a of Form 1040.
- If you have an amount entered in other boxes of your Form 1099-DIV, refer to the Instructions for Recipient of Form 1099-DIV that are attached to your form and the Instructions for Schedule D to see where to report them.
- If your only capital gains and losses are from capital gain distributions, refer to the Instructions for Form 1040.
- If you had over $1,500 of ordinary dividends or you received ordinary dividends in your name that actually belong to someone else, you must file Schedule B (Form 1040), Interest and Ordinary Dividends.