Using a Social Security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (itin) when filing your tax return

Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

Once you are issued an SSN, use it to file your tax return. Use your SSN to file your tax return even if your SSN does not authorize employment or if you have been issued an SSN that authorizes employment and you lose your employment authorization. An ITIN will not be issued to you once you have been issued an SSN. If you received your SSN after previously using an ITIN, stop using your ITIN. Use your SSN instead.