IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Amended Returns & Form 1040X

Question: I received my refund, and because I made a mistake on my return, it is more than I should have received. I have not yet cashed this check. What should I do now?


Since the mistake was not caught and corrected during processing and you did not receive a letter of explanation showing a change, you should:

  • File an amended or corrected return using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, as soon as possible.
  • Include copies of any forms and/or schedules that you are changing and/or did not include on the original return.
  • Return the refund check with a letter of explanation submitted with your amended return; when the IRS finishes processing the amended return, the IRS will issue a new refund check.
  • Write "Void" in the endorsement section of the check when you return the check with your amended return.
  • Allow the IRS up to 16 weeks to process the amended return.

Additional Information:

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: Amended Returns & Form 1040X

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224