IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

W-4 - Allowances, Excess FICA, Students, Withholding

Question: As a full-time student, am I exempt from federal income taxes?


Status as a full-time student does not exempt you from federal income taxes. If you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident, the factors that determine whether you owe federal income taxes or must file a federal income tax return include:

  • The amount of your earned and unearned income
  • Whether you can be claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return
  • Your filing status, and
  • Your age

If your income is below the amount of the filing requirement for your age, filing status, and dependency status, and no other filing requirement applies, you do not owe federal taxes on your income and you do not have to file a federal income tax return. Even if you are not required to file an income tax return, you may choose to file a return if you are entitled to a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax, or you are eligible for a refundable credit. For more information on filing requirements, refer to Do I Need to File a Tax Return? and Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction and Filing Information.

See Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate, and Can You Claim Exemption from Withholding on Form W-4? to determine if you may claim exemption from income tax withholding. Consider completing a new Form W-4 each year and when your personal or financial situation changes.

For related topics, see Tax Information for Students.

Additional Information:

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: W-4 - Allowances, Excess FICA, Students, Withholding

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224