Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Dual Status Aliens

Dual status aliens determine their residency status under both the Internal Revenue Code and tax treaties.

Dual Status Alien

If you change status during the current year-

Aliens who make such a change are Dual Status Aliens and must file a special tax return called a Dual Status Return as described in Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

Dual Status Alien - First Year Choice

If you are a Nonresident Alien who will become a Resident Alien under the Substantial Presence test in the year following this taxable year, you may elect to be treated as a Dual Status Alien for this taxable year and a Resident Alien for the next taxable year if you meet certain tests. Refer to the First Year Choice area, under Dual-Status Aliens, of Chapter 1 in Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

Tax Treaties

Most Tax Treaties contain an article which defines tax residency for purposes of the Tax Treaty. Tax residency determined under the residency article of a tax treaty may differ from the residency provisions of the Internal Revenue Code.

Dual Status Aliens Married to U.S. Citizens or Resident Aliens

A dual status alien married to a U.S. citizen or to a resident alien may elect to file a joint income tax return with his/her U.S. citizen or resident alien spouse. Refer to Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident.

References/Related Topics