What this notice is about
We placed an identity theft indicator on your account. If we notice fraudulent activity, we’ll contact you to advise you of any actions you should take.
What you need to do
- Review the notice.
- Continue filing all federal tax returns.
- Continue sending your payments, if you owe a balance due.
You may want to
- Continue monitoring all your personal financial accounts.
- Monitor your credit report for suspicious or unauthorized activities.
- Create an online account to request an Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN).
- Visit the following websites for more information on identity theft.
Frequently asked questions
What effect does the Identity Theft Indicator have on my account?
The indicator helps the IRS to identify you as the valid owner of the Social Security Number (SSN) that is shown on your tax return. The indicator has no effect on your ability to file your tax return, make payments, or receive a refund.
How long does the indicator remain on my account?
Because you indicated you’re at risk of becoming a victim of tax-related identity theft, the indicator placed on your account will remain; unless you specifically request us to remove it.
Who should I contact if I have more questions about my account related to identity theft?
Tips for next year
File your return as you normally would.