Understanding Your CP01E Notice

What This Notice Is About

You may be a victim of identity theft because someone other than you used your Social Security number for employment.

What You Need To Do

Please continue to file all applicable tax returns timely.

You May Want To

  • Review your earnings with the Social Security Administration (SSA) to ensure their records are correct. You can create an account on the SSA website which can assist you if an unauthorized person used your SSN.
  • Monitor your credit reports and all financial accounts for signs of misuse of your personal information.
  • Place a free 90-day fraud alert on your credit reports by contacting any one of the three nationwide credit reporting companies listed below.
  • Although this incident is not tax related, you are eligible to obtain an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) to protect your federal income tax. Go to Get an IP PIN for more information or to create your online account. 

More Information on Preventing Identity Theft

Frequently Asked Questions

Your SSN was used on a Form W-2 that doesn’t to belong to you.

No. Continue to file and pay your taxes as you normally would.

No. We placed an identity theft indicator on your account. This will allow us to take additional precautions to protect you from future tax related identity theft.

If you do not currently have an IP PIN, you may apply for one using our online “Secure Access” portal at  Get an IP PIN.

No. We know that someone used your SSN on a Form W-2 while filing a federal return. Federal disclosure laws prevent us from disclosing any taxpayer information to you.

The first name on the letter was the person’s  SSN used for employment. We mailed the notice to the names and address used on the last tax return filing for that person.

If the person is not deceased, contact the SSA and follow the guidance on the notice or in the “You may want to” section above. If the person is deceased, you should make sure that all financial accounts under the decedent’s SSN are closed. Minor children can also be victims of identity theft.

Identity thieves can get personal information through a variety of methods including data breaches, telephone scams, phishing, or stealing things from mailboxes. Visit Identity Theft Prevention, Detection and Victim Assistance or the FTC's identity theft page for more information on protective actions you can take.

We placed a marker on your account to help us identify income that may not belong to you so we don’t include it with your legitimate taxable income.

You can call the Identity Protection Specialized Unit at the number on the top right corner of your notice.

Product Images

The notice you have may have different information relevant to your tax situation

Need Help?