Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP104 Notice

We made changes to your excise tax return because we found a miscalculation. You now have a balance due.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. It will explain why you owe.
  • Compare the figures on the notice with your excise tax return.
  • Contact us within 10 days of the date of your notice if you disagree with the changes we made.
  • If you agree with our changes, correct the copy of your excise tax return that you kept for your records. Pay the amount you owe by the due date on the notice.
  • If you can’t pay the full amount you owe, contact us to make payment arrangements. You can apply online for a payment plan (including installment agreements).

Answers to common questions

How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?

Call us at the toll-free number listed on your notice for specific information about your tax return.

What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?

Call us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice or write to us within 10 days of the date of the notice. We may be able to reverse the changes.

What happens if I can’t pay the full amount I owe?

You can request a payment plan with us. Call us at the toll-free number on your notice to talk about payment options or learn more about them here.

Am I charged interest on the money I owe?

Not if you pay the full amount you owe by the due date on the notice. However, interest accrues on the unpaid balance after that date.

Will I receive a penalty if I can’t pay the full amount?

Yes, you will receive a late payment penalty. You can call us at the toll-free number on your notice if you can't pay the full amount due because of circumstances beyond your control. If you contact us by the due date of your payment, we may be able to remove the penalty, depending on your situation.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your excise taxes electronically. Filing online can help you to avoid mistakes. Please visit our web site for electronic filing options.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help