We made changes to your return because we believe there’s a miscalculation. As a result, you are due a refund.
What you need to do
- You don't need to do anything. If you haven't received it already, you should receive a refund of the overpaid amount within 4-6 weeks as long as you owe no other taxes or debts we are required to collect.
You may want to...
- Compare the figures on the notice with your tax return.
- If you agree with our change(s), correct the copy of your tax return that you kept for your records.
- Complete and send us a Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative to authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact us on your behalf.
Answers to common questions
What if I do not receive my refund in 4-6 weeks?
If you don’t owe other taxes or debts we’re required to collect, such as child support, and 6 weeks have lapsed, call us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
What if I disagree with the changes you made and don’t want the refund?
Contact us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice to stop the refund.
Tips for next year
Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you to avoid mistakes and to find credits and deductions for which you may qualify. In many cases you can file electronically for free. Learn more about e-file.
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer
- Publication 15, Circular E, Employer's Tax Guide
- Publication 15-A, Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide (Supplement to Circular E, Employer's Tax Guide, Publication 15)
- Publication 15-B, Employer's Tax Guide to Fringe Benefits
- Find a copy of any necessary tax forms and instructions
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.