Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding your CP12E or CP12F Notice

We corrected a miscalculation on your return.

What you need to do

  • Review the notice, and compare our changes to the information on your tax return.
  • If you agree with the changes we made, you don't need to do anything. You should receive a refund check in 4-6 weeks, as long as you don't owe other tax or debts we're required to collect.
  • If you don't agree, call us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice, or contact us by mail. Include any correspondence or documentation.

You may want to

Download a copy of Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer, if it wasn't included with your notice.

Answers to common questions

Why did I receive this notice?
We issue CP12E or CP12F when we correct one or more mistakes on your tax return, and

  • The overpayment is different from the one you expected, or
  • You have an overpayment when you thought you owed money or had an even balance.

How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?
Call us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice for specific information concerning your tax return.

What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?
Call us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice.

If you write to us within 60 days of the date of this notice, we may be able to reverse the change we made to your account. However, if you're unable to provide us with additional information that justifies the reversal and we believe the reversal is in error, we'll forward your case to examination for audit. This step gives you formal appeal rights, including the right to appeal our decision in court. After we forward your case, the audit staff will contact you within 5-6 weeks to fully explain the audit process and your rights. If you don't contact us within the 60-day period, you'll lose your right to appeal our decision before payment of tax.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help

• Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.

• Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF).

• See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.