Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP131 Notice

We made changes to your tax return because we believe there’s a miscalculation on your return. As a result of these changes, you don’t owe us any money, nor are you due a refund.

What you need to do

  • Read the notice carefully. It will explain the changes we made.
  • Compare the figures on the notice to the information on your tax return.
  • If you agree with the changes we made, you don’t need to respond to this notice. Correct the copy of your tax return that you kept for your records.
  • We reduced your account balance to zero because the amount owed was so small. Please don’t send a payment.
  • If you don’t agree with the changes, contact us within 10 days from the date of your notice by calling the toll free number listed on your notice or by mailing the completed contact stub with any correspondence or documentation.

Answers to Common Questions

How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?

Call us at the toll free number listed on your notice for specific information about your tax return.

Where can I get forms and instructions?

Visit /Forms-&-Pubs or call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).

Tips for next year

  • Refer to the instructions for your tax return for required documentation and how to complete your return. Attach all required forms and schedules to your tax return when filing.
  • Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases, you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.