Understanding your CP131 notice


What this notice is about

We made changes to your tax return because we believe there's a miscalculation on your return. As a result of these changes, you don't owe us any money, nor are you due a refund.

What you need to do

  • Read the notice carefully. It will explain the changes we made.
  • Compare the figures on the notice to the information on your tax return.
  • If you agree with the changes we made, you don’t need to respond to this notice. Correct the copy of your tax return that you kept for your records.
  • We reduced your account balance to zero because the amount owed was so small. Please don’t send a payment.
  • If you don’t agree with the changes, contact us within 10 days from the date of your notice by calling the toll-free number listed on your notice or by mailing the completed contact stub with any correspondence or documentation.

Frequently asked questions

How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?

Call us at the toll-free number listed on your notice for specific information about your tax return.

Where can I get forms and instructions?

Visit Forms, Instructions & Publications or call 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Tips for next year

  • Refer to the instructions for your tax return for required documentation and how to complete your return. Attach all required forms and schedules to your tax return when filing.
  • Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and save you time.

Helpful information

Need help?