Understanding Your CP21A Notice

What this notice is about

We made the changes you requested to your tax return for the tax year on the notice. You owe as a result of the changes.

View this notice and manage your communication preference online

Sign in to your Online Account to:

  • View and download this notice
  • Go paperless for certain notices
  • Get email notifications for new notices

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. It will explain why you owe.
  • Contact us is you disagree with the changes we made.
  • If you agree with our changes, correct the copy of your tax return that you kept for your records.
  • Pay the amount you owe by the due date on the notice's payment coupon.
  • Make payment arrangements if you can't pay the full amount you owe.

Frequently asked questions

Mention that you received a CP21A notice with a balance due and you need to review your account. Be sure to have a copy of your notice and your tax return before you call.

Call us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice.

Yes, interest will accrue if you don't pay the full amount you owe by the date on the payment coupon.

Yes, you'll receive a late payment penalty. You can call us at the number listed on your notice if you’re unable to pay the full amount shown because of circumstances beyond your control. If you contact us by the due date of your payment, we may be able to remove the penalty, depending on your situation.

Call us at the number listed on the top right corner of your notice. See our IRS Identity Theft resource page for more information.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Helpful information

Need help?