Understanding your CP24F, CP24G, or CP24U notice


What this notice is about

We corrected your return because we found a difference between the estimated tax payment amount on your tax return and the amount we posted to your account. As a result, you're now due a refund.

What you need to do

  • Review the notice and compare our changes to the information on your tax return.
  • If you agree with the changes we made, no response is required.
    • You should receive a refund check in 4-6 weeks, if you don't owe other tax or debts we're required to collect.
    • You may want to correct the copy of your tax return you keep for your records, but don't send it to us.
  • If you don't agree with the changes we made, contact us within 60 days from the date of your notice.

You may want to

Verify your estimated tax payments in your online tax account before filing your next tax return.

Frequently asked questions

  • When your tax payments exceed what you owe, it's called an overpayment credit.
  • You'll automatically be refunded this credit.
  • You can ask us to apply the credit as an advance payment toward next year's taxes instead of sending you a refund.

You'll receive it in 4-6 weeks if you don't owe other taxes or debts we're required to collect.

Read your notice carefully. For additional clarification, call us at the number shown on your notice.

Call us with your information at the number on your notice. Have a copy of your tax return and documentation (such as canceled checks or amended return) ready when you call. We'll discuss the issue and give you further instructions.

Contact us at the toll-free number or respond by mail to the address on your notice. If you write to us, include a copy of the notice along with your correspondence or documentation.

You must contact us within 60 days from the date of your notice to request a reversal. Provide an explanation or additional documents you want us to consider when requesting a reversal. If we don't receive your supporting documents, we may forward your case for audit. Audit staff will contact you within 6-12 weeks to explain the process and your rights.

If you don't contact us within the 60-day period, changes we made to reduce your refund won't be reversed and you'll lose your right to appeal our decision in the U.S. Tax CourtInstead, you may file a claim for refund to dispute the changes. Generally, you must submit the claim within 3 years from the date you filed the tax return, or within 2 years from the date of your last payment for this tax, — whichever is later.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Receive a refund quickly with a direct deposit to your account by completing the banking information on your tax return's refund section.

Helpful information

Need help?