Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP267A Notice

You received a CP267A Notice because you’ve overpaid the Branded Prescription Drug Fee.

What you need to do

  • Call us within 30 days of the notice date between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Central Time at the number on your notice.
  • Identify your payments by tax form, fee year, and amount.
  • Tell us if we have misapplied any of your payments.
  • Inform us where you want to apply the overpayment.

You may want to...

  • Review your Letter 4658, Final Fee Calculation
  • Visit and search for the key phrase “Branded Prescription Drug.”
  • For tax forms, instructions, and publications, visit or call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).

Answers to Common Questions

Why am I getting this notice?

We've sent you this notice because our records indicate you over paid your Branded Prescription Drug Fee. We need you to confirm that your payment was intended for another fee year or inform us where you want to apply the overpayment.

What is an "overpayment," and how is that different from a "refund?"

An "overpayment" occurs when you pay more taxes during the year than what you owe. This can either be refunded to you or applied to other taxes.

Tax forms or publications you may find useful

  • Report of Branded Prescription Drug Information Form 8947

How to get help

Calling the 1-800 number listed on the top right corner of your notice is the fastest way to get your questions answered.

You can also authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using the Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (Form 2848).

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help