We've sent you this notice because our records indicate you may be eligible for the Earned Income Credit (EIC), but didn't claim it on your tax return.
What you need to do
- Read your notice carefully. It will explain the steps needed to determine your qualifications.
- Complete the EIC Eligibility Worksheet.
If you are eligible for the credit,
- Sign and date the worksheet.
- Mail the signed worksheet in the envelope provided.
If you are not eligible for the credit,
- Do not return the eligibility worksheet to us.
What we will do
We'll review your worksheet and make a determination.
- If you're eligible for the credit, we'll send you a refund in 6 ― 8 weeks, as long as you don't owe tax or any other debts we're required to collect.
- If we deny the credit, we'll send you a letter of explanation.
- If you don't hear from us after 8 weeks, call our toll-free line at 800-829-0922 to check the status.
You may want to
- Download Publication 596, Earned Income Credit.
Answers to common questions
Why did the IRS send me this notice?
You may be eligible for the EIC. The EIC is a credit for certain people who work and have earned income. People without dependent children may qualify for a refund, even if they do not owe any tax.
I lost the return envelope. Where do I mail my EITC Eligibility Worksheet?
Mail the completed worksheet to the address listed on the top left corner of the worksheet. This office handles cases in your region, so it's important you send it there to avoid potential delays in processing.
Tips for next year
Claim the credit if you are still eligible.
Ask the IRS to figure the earned income credit for you by writing "EIC" on the EIC line, complete Schedule EIC, and attach it to your return. If you qualify for the credit, the IRS will calculate it for you.
Write "NO" on the EIC line if you do not want or you do not qualify for the credit.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.