Understanding your CP523 notice

What this notice is about

If you received a CP523, CP523 (SP) or CP623 notice, the IRS is informing you of the intent to terminate your installment agreement and seize (levy) your assets. You have defaulted on your agreement.

What you need to do

  • Make your payment before your termination date to prevent your installment agreement from being terminated. Go to the payments page to make your payment or find out more about your payment options.
  • Contact the IRS right away to see if you can reinstate your agreement. You may have to pay a fee to reinstate it or you may have to pay any new tax liability in full.
  • Read your notice carefully — it explains what to do now that you have defaulted on your installment agreement.
  • If you don't respond, we will terminate your installment agreement and begin taking collection action, which can include filing a federal tax lien or seizing (levying) your wages and/or bank accounts

Frequently asked questions

What is the notice telling me?

This notice is telling you that we intend to terminate your installment agreement and seize (levy) your wages and/or bank accounts if you take no action. The notice tells you why we are taking this action.

This notice also explains the denial or revocation of a United States passport. The Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act legislation, which generally prohibits the State Department from issuing or renewing a passport to a taxpayer with seriously delinquent tax debt. Additional information on passport certification is available at IRS.gov/passports.

What do I have to do?

Contact us immediately at the toll-free number listed at the top right corner of the notice. We will discuss what you need to do to resolve this issue.

How much time do I have?

You should contact us as soon as possible but no later than 30 days from the date of the notice.

Who should I contact?

If you have any questions about the notice, call us at the number printed at the top of the notice. A customer service representative will assist you.

What if I don't agree with your action or have already taken corrective action?

If you don't agree with our reason for terminating your installment agreement, contact us at the number printed at the top of the notice. If after talking with us you still do not agree, you have the right to file an appeal and can request a hearing with the IRS Independent Office of Appeals.

If you have already taken corrective action, you should still call us to make sure we have a record of your action so that we can reinstate your installment agreement.

Need help?