Understanding Your Letter 4800C

What this letter is about

We are proposing a change to your tax return.

What you need to do

  • Review your tax return for the tax year in question.
  • Review the "Changes to Your Return" section to decide if you agree or disagree with our proposed changes.
  • If you don't agree with the changes, send us the items listed in the notice that support what you claimed.
  • Complete and return the Response Form within 30 days from the date of the letter.

You may want to

  • Review this notice with your tax preparer.
  • Contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) if you're experiencing an economic hardship or need help in resolving problems. You can reach TAS at 877-777-4778 or TTY/TTD 800-829-4059.

What if you don't respond

We may send you a final notice with an adjustment.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is my return being reviewed?

We select some returns to determine if income, expenses, and credits are being reported accurately. This doesn't mean you made an error or were dishonest.

What will happen after I provide my response?

We'll contact you within 180 days if we have questions. If not, no action is required. It takes about 9 weeks to review your response and make any changes.

What if I didn't file the tax return?

Someone else may have filed it for you without your consent. Send us a completed and signed Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit PDF. You may want to read our identity theft resources page while we review your Form 14039.

Helpful Information

Visit www.irs.gov to find answers to other frequently asked questions.

Need Help?