Understanding your letter 5747C

What this letter is about

We received a federal income tax return, Form 1040-series, filed under your Social Security number (SSN) or individual tax identification number (ITIN). To protect you from identity theft, we need you to verify your identity and the tax return so we can continue processing it. If you didn't file a tax return, you must let us know.

You may need to visit a Taxpayer Assistance Center, so we can verify your identity and the tax return.

What you need to do immediately

If you DIDN’T file a tax return:

Call the Taxpayer Protection Program hotline on your letter to tell us you didn't file a tax return.

If you DID file a tax return:

Call our Taxpayer Assistance Center toll-free at the number on your letter to schedule an in-person appointment.

Note: An authorized third party can represent the taxpayer, however, the taxpayer must be present at the appointment to authenticate their identity. Visit IRS.gov/f2848 for more information. If you're acting as a fiduciary for an individual, a descendant's estate, or a trust, complete and send us Form 56, Notice Concerning Fiduciary RelationshipPDF. For more information about Form 56, visit About Form 56.

Bring the following to your appointment:

  • The 5747C letter
  • The Form 1040-series tax return referenced in the letter (Forms W-2 and 1099 aren't tax returns)
  • If additional verification is required, a prior year tax return, other than the year in the letter, if available (Forms W-2 and 1099 aren't tax returns)
  • Supporting documents for each year's tax return you filed (Form W-2, Form 1099, Schedule C or Schedule F, etc.)

Bring the following identity verification documents to your appointment:

  • A valid federal or state government-issued picture identification, such as a driver's license, state ID, or passport

At least ONE of the following forms of identification:

  • Current federal or state government-issued identification that is different from the first document provided
  • U.S. Social Security card
  • Mortgage statement with current address
  • Lease agreement for a house or apartment with current address
  • Car title
  • Voter registration card (not the voter registration application)
  • Utility bill matching address on ID
  • Birth certificate (the IRS no longer accepts Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010)
  • Current school records

If we don't hear from you:

We won't be able to process your tax return, issue a refund, or credit any overpayments to your account.

Note: The letter applies to identity and tax return verification ONLY. No other tax-related information, including refund status, is available at the telephone numbers shown on your letter.

Frequently asked questions

What if I'm incarcerated?

Once we verify your identity and confirm you submitted the tax return, we'll continue processing your return. It may take up to 9 weeks to process.

What else can I do to protect my identity?

Publication 5027, Identity Theft Information for TaxpayersPDF, or visit Identity Theft Central.

Getting an IRS Identity Protection PIN can help prevent misuse of your taxpayer identification number on fraudulent federal income tax returns.

Learn more at Get an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN).

Need Help?

  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, call the IRS number at the top of your notice or letter.