IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding your LT11 Notice

We haven’t received any payment from you for your overdue taxes. This letter is to advise you of our intent to seize your property or rights to property. You must contact us immediately.

What you need to do

  • Pay the balance due with the envelope enclosed.
  • If you already paid in full or think we haven’t credited a payment, send proof of that payment to us.
  • If you’re unable to pay the balance due, contact the telephone number listed on the letter.

You may want to

Request an appeal to the proposed levy action by following the instructions on the letter.

Answers to Common Questions

What happens if I don’t respond to this letter or don’t pay?

We can attach a levy to your wages or bank accounts up to the amount owed to the Service. We may also take enforced collection action to collect the amount including the filing of a Notice of Federal Tax Lien. A lien is a public notice to your creditors that the government has a right to your interests in your current assets and any assets you acquire after we file the lien. It can affect your ability to get credit.

What kinds of property can the IRS levy?

Property can include wages and other income, bank accounts, business assets, personal assets (including your car and home), Alaska Permanent Fund Dividends and state tax refunds, and Social Security benefits.

What if I can’t pay the balance in full?

Call our office and make arrangements for an installment agreement.

Can I appeal the balance due?

You may request a Collection Due Process hearing. See the letter for directions.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 21-Nov-2016

How to get help