We received your payment proposal to pay the tax you owe; however, we need more information about your financial situation.
What you need to do
- Call us at the telephone number listed on your letter within 7 days from the date of the letter.
- Have your income and expense information available when you call.
Answers to Common Questions
Is there a fee for setting up an installment agreement?
If we approve your payment plan, we’ll charge $120 as an initial setup fee.
What will happen if I don’t have my income and expense information when I call you?
We can’t set up an installment agreement without the information.
What happens if I don’t respond to this letter or don’t pay?
We may take enforced collection action to collect the amount including the filing of a Notice of Federal Tax Lien, or garnishment of your wages or other income sources or bank accounts. A lien is a public notice to your creditors that the government has a right to your interests in your current assets and any assets you acquire after we file the lien. It can affect your ability to get credit.
If the amount you owe includes a shared responsibility payment, the law prohibits us from using liens or levies to collect that portion of your liability.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.