April 16, 2020
Everyone should be alert for scammers calling, texting and emailing about the coronavirus or COVID-19, including Economic Impact Payments. These scams can lead to tax-related fraud and identity theft.
What you need to know:
- The IRS will not call, email or text you to verify or request your financial, banking or personal information.
- Watch out for websites and social media attempts to request money or personal information. IRS.gov is the official website.
- Don't open unexpected emails that look like they're coming from the IRS or click on any attachments or links.
- Don't engage potential scammers.
- Forward suspicious emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit IRS.gov for the most current information.