IR-2010-85, July 14, 2010
WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service announced the locations of Taxpayer Assistance Centers in seven Gulf Coast cities that will be open this Saturday, July 17 to provide help to taxpayers impacted by the BP oil spill.
The following locations will be open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Central Time:
- 1110 Montlimar Drive, Mobile, Ala.
- 651-F West 14th St., Panama City, Fla.
- 7180 9th Ave. North, Pensacola, Fla.
- 2600 Citiplace Centre, Baton Rouge, La.
- 423 Lafayette St., Houma, La.
- 1555 Poydras Street, New Orleans, La.
- 11309 Old Highway 49, Gulfport, Miss.
Individuals who have questions about the tax treatment of BP claims payments or who are experiencing filing or payment hardships because of the oil spill will be able to work directly with IRS personnel at any of these locations on Saturday.
Last week, the IRS announced the opening of a dedicated phone line for victims of the Gulf oil spill –– 866-562-5227. This special toll-free line is open weekdays from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and will also be open to callers on Saturday, July 17 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Central Time.
In certain cases, IRS staff can assist oil spill victims by suspending collection and examination actions. Taxpayers who need this assistance must request it. Others may decide to continue making payments because interest will continue to accrue on outstanding balances, even if some penalties are abated.
In addition to postponing collection actions, the IRS continues to have a number of other ways to help taxpayers deal with oil spill issues or other economic hardships, including:
- Added flexibility for missed payments on installment agreements and offers in compromise for previously compliant individuals.
- Consideration of a taxpayer’s current income and potential for future income when negotiating an offer in compromise.
- Accelerated levy releases.
- Assistance of the Taxpayer Advocate Service for those experiencing economic harm and seeking help resolving tax problems that have not been resolved through normal channels.
For More Information
For further information, including the tax treatment of BP compensation payments, see questions & answers about the Gulf oil spill. Taxpayers are also encouraged to visit DisasterAssistance.gov and RestoretheGulf.gov, which have information on assistance for Gulf oil spill victims.
- Gulf Oil Spill Information Center
- News release IR-2010-85, IRS Announces Opening Times, Addresses for July 17 Special Assistance Day for Gulf Oil Spill Victims
- News release IR-2010-84, IRS Opens Dedicated Phone Line for Gulf Oil Spill Victims
- News release IR-2010-78, IRS Provides Tax Help, Guidance to Gulf Oil Spill Victims; Special Assistance Day Planned for July 17
- News release IR-2010-29, IRS Outlines Additional Steps to Assist Unemployed Taxpayers and Others
- IRS Publication 4873, The Gulf Oil Spill and Your Taxes
- IRS Publication 4873-A, Gulf Oil Spill: Questions and Answers
- IRS Publication 547, Casualties, Disasters, and Thefts
- IRS Publication 584, Casualties, Disasters, and Theft Loss Workbook