Need Tax Help? Visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center


Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

IRS Summertime Tax Tip 2011-04, July 13, 2011

Update Apr. 28, 2017: All Taxpayer Assistance Centers now operate on an appointment basis. For information on making an appointment, see Contact Your Local IRS Office

Update Dec. 29, 2011: to remove outdated material referring to return preparation.

If you need to resolve a tax problem, have tax law questions or you’re more comfortable talking with someone face-to-face, visit your local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center where you can spread out your records and talk with an IRS representative across the counter. No appointment is necessary, just walk in.

Here are six services you can take advantage of at an IRS TAC:

  1. Notices or letters Have you received a letter or notice and need face-to-face assistance to understand the next step?
  2. Multilingual Assistance Don’t let a language barrier prevent you from getting the face-to-face tax assistance you may need. The IRS offers multilingual services to taxpayers in more than 150 languages through bilingual employees or an Over-the-Phone Interpreter.
  3. Payments You can make payments at your local IRS TAC. Be sure you know the tax period and the type of tax for the payment you are making. If you received a notice from the IRS, be sure to bring it with you.
  4. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number If you are not eligible for a Social Security number but need to file a tax return, bring the completed tax return, Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Identification Number, and certified identification documents to your local TAC to apply for your ITIN and file your return. For more information, see Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.
  5. Alien Clearances Before leaving the United States, most aliens must obtain a certificate of tax compliance. This document, also popularly known as the sailing or departure permit, must be secured from the IRS before leaving the U.S. You can get the permit from your local TAC. For more information, see Publication 513, Tax Information for Visitors to the United States.
  6. Tax Return and Tax Account Transcripts Do you need a copy of your tax return for financial aid or to obtain a mortgage? If so, a tax return or tax account transcript generally meet the requirements of these lending institutions. Visit your local TAC for free transcripts, typically available for the current and past three years. 

For TAC locations, business hours and an overview of services, visit Just go to the “Individuals” tab and click on ” Contact My Local Office” in the left tool bar section under IRS Resources.


Subscribe to IRS Tax Tips