Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Routine Access to IRS Records

Many types of IRS records are available through routine procedures designed to make access quick and easy. No Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request is required for these records. Please see the table below for ways to access these frequently requested records.

Records not listed here are available by:

  • Visiting the IRS FOIA eReading Room
  • Submitting a FOIA request (see the IRS FOIA page)

IRS Routine Access Procedures

A copy of a tax return:

Send completed Form 4506 to the address provided in the form’s instructions to receive copies of your tax returns as originally filed. IRS charges a fee of $50.00 for each copy provided. Call the IRS Forms hotline at (800) 829-3676 if you need a Form 4506 mailed to you.

A transcript of your tax return or tax account:

A transcript of your account or return is free and may substitute in some situations for a copy of an original return. For example, colleges and loan originators generally accept IRS transcripts.

  • On the Web: Use our Get Transcript tool.
  • Form 4506-T: Order transcripts using Form 4506-T. In addition to the tax return and account transcripts available through the Get Transcript tool, you may also request wage and income transcripts and a verification of non-filing letter.
  • By phone: Call (800) 908-9946 (for individual transcripts) or (800) 829-4933 (for business transcripts).

Information from open case files:

If you are working with an IRS employee on an open case, you may request information from the case file (such as copies of workpapers or other records) directly from the IRS employee assigned to the matter.


Centralized Authorization File


 Client Listing:

Practitioners must submit a request for this listing. Please refer to the sample CAF Client Listing Request.

Tax-exempt or political organization returns or other documents that are publicly available:



By phone: Contact the Tax Exempt/Government Entities Hotline at (877) 829-5500.

Form 4506-A: Send a completed Form 4506-A to the address printed on the form.

Online: Forms 990 are available online through, a privately funded database of nonprofit organizations. Some employee plan information is available online through private research services like  Copies of approved applications for tax exempt status are also obtained via Form 4506-A

Tax forms and publications:


Online: See the Forms and Publications page.

By phone: Contact the IRS Forms Hotline at (800) 829-3676.

Tax account & technical tax law questions:



Individuals and businesses: Call Taxpayer Service at (800) 829-1040.

Employee plans, tax-exempt, or political organizations: Contact the Tax Exempt/Government Entities hotline at (877) 829-5500. Please note, only tax account information is available through the TEGE hotline.

Please also see our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Tax Court opinions:


By mail: Copies are available by writing to: U.S. Tax Court , 400 Second Street, NW, Washington, DC 20217.

(Please note that Tax Court Opinions are not IRS records.)

Online: Available through public legal research or library services. Opinions issued since 1/1/1999 can be retrieved from the Tax Court's Opinions Search page.

The Internal Revenue Code:

An online version of the official copy of the IRC released by Congress can be accessed via the Tax Code, Regulations and Official Guidance page.

(Please note that the Internal Revenue Code is not an IRS record.)