Topic No. 159 How to Get a Wage and Income Transcript or Copy of Form W-2


You can use our Get Transcript tool to request your wage and income transcript. It shows the data reported to us on information returns such as Forms W-2, Form 1099 series, Form 1098 series, and Form 5498 series; however, state or local information isn't included with the Form W-2 information. These transcripts are available for the past ten tax years, but information for the current tax year may not be complete until July. See Get Transcript FAQs and Can I get a transcript or copy of Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from the IRS? for more information. You can also use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return to request a wage and income transcript.


We only retain actual copies of Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement when attached to your paper tax return. The only way to get an actual copy of your Form W-2 from us is to order a copy of the entire return by using Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return and paying a $43 fee for each return requested. We will waive the fee for taxpayers impacted by a federally declared disaster or a significant fire. Write the name of the disaster (for example, North Carolina Hurricane Dorian) at the top of the Form 4506. For more information, see Publication 3067, IRS Disaster Assistance – Federally Declared Disaster AreaPDF.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) provides to the Number Holder (NH) or legal representative(s) at no charge, a microprint copy of Form W-2. You can use this to help resolve an SSA program-related matter, such as an earnings discrepancy in connection with the processing of a Title II and/or Title XVI claim or an SSA or NH initiated earnings investigation. Visit or call 800-772-1213 for instructions on how to obtain wage information from the SSA.