IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Are My Social Security or Railroad Retirement Tier I Benefits Taxable?

ITA Home

This interview will help you determine whether any of your benefits (and those of your spouse if you're married filing a joint tax return) are taxable. It's not designed to address benefits received on behalf of a dependent as they're not taxable to you. It doesn't address citizens residing in a foreign country that are receiving benefits. See Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad.

Information You'll Need:

  • Basic information to help you determine your gross income
  • Forms SSA-1099 and/or RRB-1099

The tool is designed for use by taxpayers that were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they're inquiring about. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year. For information regarding nonresidents or dual-status aliens, please see Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.


Conclusions are based on information provided by you in response to the questions you answered. Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Estimated Completion Time: 9 minutes; however, after 15 minutes of inactivity, you'll be forced to start over.

Please Note: Using the "Back" button within the ITA tool could cause an application error.


Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 24-Feb-2017