IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

What if I sell my home for a loss?

Losses from the sale of personal–use property, such as your home or car, are not deductible. It is not eligible for the capital gains loss of up to $3,000 annually. For more information, see About Publication 523, Selling Your Home.

Return to What If?


Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 06-Sep-2016