Can I get a transcript or copy of Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from the IRS?
Yes, but an actual copy of your Form W-2 is only available if you submitted it with a paper tax return:
- You can get a wage and income transcript, containing the Federal tax information your employer reported to the Social Security Administration (SSA), by using Get Transcript Online. Refer to Transcript Types and Ways to Order Them for more information.
- You can also use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. Check the box for Form W-2, specify which tax year(s) you need, and mail or fax the completed form. Allow 5 to 10 days from the IRS received date to receive the transcript.
Note: Wage and income transcripts are available for up to 10 years but current tax year information may not be complete until July. This transcript doesn't include any state or local tax information reported by your employer to SSA on Form W-2.
- If you e-filed your tax return or you didn't attach your Form W-2 to your paper return, then use one of the transcript options above. Otherwise, you'll need to contact your employer or SSA for a copy.
- The quickest way to obtain a copy of your current year Form W-2 is through your employer. Your employer first submits Form W-2 to SSA and after SSA processes it they transmit the federal tax information to the IRS.
- If you can't get your Form W-2 from your employer and you previously attached it to your paper tax return, you can order a copy of the entire return from the IRS for a fee. Complete and mail Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, along with the required fee. Allow 75 calendar days for us to process your request.
See Topic 159 for additional information.